Help | News | Credits | Search | Guestbook | Forum | Shop | Contact Us | Welcome

Westwood Works 1903-2003

Sports Club Facilities

Management support for sports activities had always been strong at Westwood Works (for a history of the Sports Club see Sports Club Anniversaries). The Alma Road Ground was purchased in 1919 with the Club House being opened by Mr. F.C. Ihlee in 1938. This quickly became the focus for much of the leisure time activities of many employees. Such was the expertise of the generations of Groundsmen who nurtured the facilities at Alma Road that it became recognised as a venue capable of hosting first-class cricket matches and other national and regional events.

1922/23: An early Sports Club Subscription Card 1932: Josh Booth opens the new Pavillion at Alma Road 1938: F.C. Ihlee opens the Westwood Works Sports Club House (12th February) 1938: The actual key that opened Westwood Works Sports Club 1938: Westwood Works Sports Club House in Alma Road 1955: Westwood Works Sports Ground 1955: Domino players In the Clubhouse
1955: Inside the Clubhouse 1955: In the Clubhouse 1963: Plate Shop manufactured Cricket Wicket Roller 1963: Old Leyland Tractor 1975: Clubhouse Party 1975: Clubhouse Activities 1981: Inn Sign for Clubhouse made by Michael Grunow

New extension to the Clubhouse (opened 14th November 1976)

In 1971 the general committee began a review of the Sports Club facilities that resulted in a plan to develop the social facilities at a cost of 36,000. An extension was built on the east side of the Clubhouse that created a new entrance hall, toilet facilities and a cloakroom/ committee room. The work was completed in 1976.

1976: Betty Driver from "Coronation Street" opens the Clubhouse extension 1976: Betty Driver behind the Bar 1976: Commemorative Plaque displayed in the new Entrance Hall 1976: The new layout of the Clubhouse

Refurbishment of Clubhouse and Sports Facilities (1985 - 1987)

Entrance to the Clubhouse from the car park The Reception Hall The Bar area showing the snooker and pool tables The Lounge (Jim Farrow at the bar, Dave Callaghan, Club Steward, serving) The Ballroom. Click here for photos of the reconstruction of the dance floor In the Cellar with Dave Callaghan The Main Pavilion. The two white huts were for the home and visiting football clubs managers and trainers to use. Click here for photos during refurbishment
The Football Pitch The new Bowls Green and Pavilion. Ken Morris (Head Groundsman) is in the background adjusting the water spray The Tennis Courts The Westfield Road Rugby pitch, behind the Experimental Department. Arthur Fisher (Assistant Groundsman) is driving the tractor Extension to Main Pavilion. Built to the requirements of the United Counties Football League to enable Baker Perkins 1st team to play in this competition. Click here for photos showing the work in progress Waiting for the Jackpot The Darts Area
Function Facilities The Reception Area The Pool and Snooker Area The Bar

All content © the Website Authors unless stated otherwise.